Background - wood

Friday, September 7, 2012

Good Eats: My favorite salad dressing!

Does anyone else love Smitten Kitchen?

I'm sure you do.

Everything she makes is SO DREAMY.

Plus, her toddler eschews grilled cheese sandwiches for savory truffle cookies.

(He's a very sophisticated toddler.)

What's not to love?

One of Deb's recipes that I use most often is this easy Napa salad with buttermilk dressing.



It's just delicious. It's crunchy. It's light. It's tangy!

I've made the original recipe for several parties and get togethers, and it's always a big hit.

Here's the recipe directly from the Smitten Kitchen Blog:

1/2 cup well-shaken buttermilk
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 tablespoons minced shallot
1 tablespoon sugar
3 tablespoons finely chopped chives
1 pound Napa cabbage, cored and thinly sliced crosswise (4 cups)
6 radishes, diced
2 celery ribs, thinly sliced diagonally

Whisk together buttermilk, mayonnaise, vinegar, shallot, sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl until sugar has dissolved, then whisk in chives.
Toss cabbage, radishes, and celery with dressing.


Today, though, I decided to beef up the salad so I could pass it off as lunch. (Colton is sometimes a little put off by what I would call a "Light Lunch". He would call it an "Appetizer".)

I kept the original dressing recipe and poured it over a sort-of cobb salad consisting of:

-Red Leaf Lettuce
-Diced Radishes
-Celery  (It was a little limp, so I left it out, but I'll put it in next time!)
-Crumbled crisp bacon
-Diced chicken tenderloin
-Minced fried egg

It was delicious. And I think that it passed (barely!) for lunch :)

No comments:

Post a Comment