Background - wood

Monday, April 29, 2013

Green Goddess Dressing

Salads are a healthy, great way to get greens and veggies, right?

Right.

But often salad dressings are hidden traps!

My old favorite, Ken's honey mustard, lists canola oil and high fructose corn syrup as the top two ingredients. Yikes!!!

There's a better way to do salad.

I do like the punchy vinaigrettes that are often featured with healthier salads, but sometimes I need something thick and creamy!

Enter green goddess dressing.

I must warn that many storebought and even homemade varieties feature mayo as a main ingredient! No thanks. There's nothing green or goddess-y about that.

But here's my recipe, adapted from one I found at Oh She Glows.

It's absolutely delicious, and perfectly healthy! It's also a tasty veggie dip and sandwich spread!


 

 Green Goddess Dressing

 -The flesh of 2 small avocados
-1 garlic clove
-1/2 cup basil (packed)
-1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley (packed)
-1/4 cup olive oil
-7 Tbsp water
-1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
-The juice of 1 lemon
-1/2 tsp sea salt

Combine ingredients in a food processor or blender and give it a whir! Lasts a few days in an airtight container in the fridge.

Feel free to experiment with different herbs and spices! I think that cilantro would be delicious. Or dill! Green onions! Pretty much anything green and flavorful. It might also be fun to try adding a little honey, or some dried chiles for kick!





I ate a small mixing bowl full of salad in one sitting. This is definitely a keeper.

No comments:

Post a Comment