Background - wood

Monday, April 30, 2012

Business Lady!

Woooooooo!!!

(That means I'm excited, because I'm now the proud owner of a small business.)

I've been making jewelry for awhile now - I started sometime during college. I've always been creative and impulsive... One day, I went to the craft store, bought some tools, and started hammering the heck out of some old coins I had laying around - and Viola! I was suddenly a jewelry maker.

And I just sorta kept going. Whenever I was home from college I would take out my supplies and make something. I never really sold on a large scale, I just hosted a few selling parties for the ladies at church, and once at my school.

Then a couple of weeks ago, I bought a black maxi dress and needed something to go with it - I started sewing a triangle of burlap and stitched on some amethyst and cherry quartz stones. That got me thinking of so many different things I could do. Inspiration time!

I ended up with a ton of ideas, so I decided to do a new line. Then I decided to open up an Etsy shop. Then I decided to open a Sole Proprietorship. (I was going to go the LLC route, but here in CA, there's a minimum of $800 franchise tax per year. Youch!)

So the last two or three weeks have been full of trips to the bank (Shoutout to Malik, my business banker! He's a doll.), supply shopping, photographing, listing, and working on the new stuff.

Everything has gone well so far! (Well, except one thing. I got a parking ticket while I was filing some paperwork at the courthouse. According to the ticket, I parallel parked outside of the lines. Embarrassing! But I maintain that it was the car in front of me's fault, because I just parked behind them.)

They really don't mess around with parking violations out here. I don't have a very good track record. (Two tickets and a towing, and another ticket for Colton.)

Anyway, it's open! You can see my shop here: www.etsy.com/shop/Whisperwill

Right now I'm having a clearance sale on all pieces from past seasons - 50-70% the original price!

In the meantime, I'm working hard on my new line, with influences from Native American culture and Geometric patterns and shapes. I'll be sure to post a few sneak peeks soon!




No comments:

Post a Comment